What do you picture when you hear the word “vacation”? Perhaps a sandy beach, clear water and seaside hammock? When it comes to vacation, winter doesn’t get a lot of love, but it is many people’s favorite season at Innsbrook. Here are 11 reasons that you shouldn’t wait to plan your winter retreat:
1) Americans don’t take enough vacation – and that’s reason enough to plan a winter trip. It’s hard to cram a week or two away (or even a weekend!) between work, family and social obligations. In the winter, it seems our lives are less hectic. To make it even easier on yourself, plan a getaway to a nearby location so you don’t have the added stresses of travel. A place closer to home means you still get away but with less time on the road and more time to relax!
Photo by William Moran
2) The opportunity to gather and escape around the holidays. Tack vacation time onto days your office is closed so you can string together a quick getaway. Many children have a number of days off between Christmas and New Years and some even take winter breaks that have them out of school for weeks.
Photo by Bob Keefe
3) Your boss is paying for it! If some or all of your vacation hours don’t get rolled over and expire at the end of the calendar year, you’re working for free. In 2015, the amount of lost vacation days for all Americans resulted in more than $60 billion in forfeited benefits! Take the time you deserve to refresh and recharge. Your work (and attitude) will be better for it!
Photo by Joe Federer
4) The opportunity for cozy cuddles. Winter is a romantic season to go on a rustic retreat. Cozy up on a blanket under the stars or warm your toes in front of a campfire or crackling fireplace.
Photo by Brian Serniak
5) Save money. Many places offer off-season rates or dynamic pricing that results in big savings when traveling. Also the cost of gas is historically lower during the winter months. There are different blends of gas sold depending on the time of year, and winter gas is cheaper to produce than summer gas!
Photo by Gary Barton
6) Start the new year off with a bang! Traditionally, Innsbrook puts on a midnight fireworks show on New Year’s Eve to ring in the season. This year, we’re also offering an overnight package so you can take in the show, dance the night away at the Black and White Ball, fill up with a hearty buffet selection and rest easy in the morning!
7) Migratory travelers. During the winter, you have the opportunity to view some visitors to our area that you can’t see throughout the year. Not only is it a great time to watch year-round birds like cardinals at the feeder and flitting through the leafless trees, but you’ll also spot winter visitors from the north such as the dark-eyed junco, yellow-bellied sapsucker, brown creeper and more. We’ve even had January visits from trumpeter swans the past few years at Innsbrook!
Photo by Cynthia Bowers
8) It’s good for your health! Get away from car fumes and constant noise and breathe crisp, cool air into your lungs. Not only does it feel great and refreshing, but fresh air actually helps your immune system function more effectively! More and more people are recognizing the importance of spending time outdoors for physical, mental and spiritual health.
Photo by Mike Trube
9) You’ll have to be stuck inside, won’t you? We don’t think so! Winter is a wonderful time to explore a different side of nature. Hit the hiking trails and discover the various colors, smells and sights that only present themselves in this sleepy season. That’s a great thing about not only vacationing at Innsbrook in our lakefront condos or private rental homes year-round, but also owning a home, condo, villa, chalet or cottage in our gated community.
Photo by Steve Gissy
10) The serenity of the season. Spring, summer and fall seem to be busy seasons for everyone. Sure, winter can be hectic, too, with school, work and holidays, but there is just something that feels more peaceful about this time of year.
Photo by Steve Serniak
11) Winter-only activities like ice skating. Strap on a pair of skates and head to a seasonal outdoor ice rink like Innsbrook’s for a friendly hockey game, or just twirl until your heart’s content! You can also bundle up under a blanket and take in the scene on a brisk hayride or get your blood flowing on a winter hike with your four-legged friend.
Photo by Gary Barton
Don’t wait until summer rolls around again to go on an adventure with friends, loved ones or solo. Contact Innsbrook today to plan your winter vacation!